Thu 26 Aug 2021

Your UC is changing

From September your Universal Credit payments will be reducing by £20 a week.  This is as a result of the UK Government’s decision to end the temporary uplift in payments they introduced at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Losing this much money from your monthly income could prove difficult and could cause you to worry.  If this is the case, then please be assured that you are not alone – we are here to help, so. Please get in touch with us if you need to.

Everyone’s situation is different, so it’s important you contact us so we can give you the help you need.  Your designated income officer will be able to help you manage your rent payments to ensure you don’t fall behind. They can also put you in touch with our Financial Inclusion team if you need any extra help with budgeting or ensuring you are claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to. 

Please do this now and not wait until the uplift ends.  We can help you make preparations ahead of time.

In the meantime, please check your online UC journal which has full details of the change and how much of a reduction you will receive. Please log in and make sure you read this information carefully.

Please remember you are not alone and there is support available:
Call - 01639 315000
E-mail - 

What support is available if I’m worried about my income?

  • A benefits check. This will help you verify you’re getting all the support you’re entitled to. Our Financial Inclusion team can help with this.


  • Support with essential costs. You can contact Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council to see if they can give you any extra help from a hardship fund, including food or essential things like clothes. Visit of call 01639 686868 for details .


  • Help with debt. Some bills can cause you more problems than others if you don’t pay them. Rent arrears, energy bills and council tax are your priority debts as there can be serious consequences if you don’t pay them. Get in touch with us for advice and support.


  • Free school meals. If you have children and you get certain benefits, you might be able to get free school meals for your children.  Visit for details.


  • Food bank vouchers. If you can’t afford the food you can ask for a referral from our Financial Inclusion team  or an organisation that’s already supporting you - for example, a charity, school or children’s centre - for a food bank voucher.