NPT Homes Supports Gas Safety Week 2016

Tue 27 Sep 2016

The compliance team at Aberavon Shopping Centre

NPT Homes’ gas experts travelled throughout Neath Port Talbot last week to raise awareness of the UK wide Gas Safety Week.

The sixth annual Gas Safety Week saw the housing provider join organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of unsafe gas appliances, which cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

To help educate people on the importance of being gas safe the compliance team set up shop in Morrisons Neath, Aberafan Shopping Centre and Tesco Pontardawe, while also raising awareness among its 500 staff.

As a social landlord, NPT Homes is responsible for carrying out annual gas safety inspections at all of its properties and will be using this UK wide campaign as another way of confirming gas safety check appointments with tenants.

NPT Homes’ Property Compliance Manager, Neil Davies, said:

“Gas safety is a serious subject and holding these events within our communities allow us to teach more and more of our tenants on how to remain safe in their homes.

With 22 deaths and 1,000 gas-related injuries in the UK in the last three years, it’s vital that people make sure their gas appliances are checked every year by a registered engineer.

In partnership with our contractor Westward, we carry out inspections to ensure all of our properties are compliant and our tenants and their neighbours are safe.

We encourage our tenants to allow us to carry out our inspection first time and to contact us on 0300 777 3000 if they are experiencing a problems with their gas appliances.”

Jonathan Samuel, Managing Director for Gas Safe Register, said:

“It was great to have the support of NPT Homes during Gas Safety Week. By working together we can reach more people and help to reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in the homes of the UK’s 23 million gas consumers. We know from our own investigations that around one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe, meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas related incidents.”


To find out about dangers in your area visit