Protecting what’s yours

Tue 23 Apr 2024

Last year several tenants were affected by fire or flood at their homes, with devastating consequences.

Our housing team worked with impacted tenants to ensure that they were rehoused whilst the necessary repairs were made to their home.

Unfortunately, in most cases prized possessions were lost with tenants unable to afford to replace them because they didn’t have contents insurance.

As your landlord, we are responsible for the building insurance of your home. This covers the structure of the building and items such as your kitchen and bathroom. However, it does not cover any of your personal belongings or things like carpets, furniture, curtains, kitchen appliances and other valuables which could be lost in the event of a fire, flood, theft, vandalism or burst pipes.

You need contents insurance to cover these items. Without contents insurance the price of replacing all these things at once can be eye-watering.

After a flat caught fire in Sandfields last year, it wasn’t just the tenants who were badly affected, but neighbours too.

Andrew and his family were away on holiday when they took a call to say the flat below them was ablaze.

Whilst the fire didn’t spread, the smoke damage meant their possessions were badly damaged.

“Coming back from a holiday and being moved into the Aberavon Beach Hotel instead of going home was a surreal experience. Meeting outside our flat the next day to be told it wasn’t safe to return was heart-breaking.

“Until something like this happens and you need to pick up the pieces and replace, everything you don’t realise that the cost is crazy. 

“We didn’t have contents insurance and it was like starting again, a friend set up a GoFundMe page which really helped get us back on our feet, but we will have contents insurance moving forward, definitely, 100%.”

Why do I need contents insurance?
We cover the buildings insurance for your home but you’re responsible for insuring your contents.

It’s always a good idea to shop around for a policy that’ll give you the cover you need.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or even stolen, so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

It is up to you who you choose based on your own personal needs, however we have teamed up with Aviva, who provide insurance especially for our tenants.

Reasons to join

  • No excess if you need to make a claim
  • New for old cover**
  • Continuous “pay as you go” cover with no annual renewal
  • Premiums will not go up if you need to make a claim
  • Accidental damage cover option available***
  • Payment included with your rent

For quotes, get in touch with our insurance team on 01639 506091 or e-mail

Always shop around for the best quote, price comparison websites can help.

Terms and conditions apply, contact above.
*Price includes Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) charged at the appropriate rate.

** Except clothing and linen (which are subject to a deduction for wear and tear) There is no cover for electrical or mechanical breakdown, or gradual deterioration.

*** For an additional premium

The policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited and arranged by Aon UK Ltd who are both authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Aviva Insurance Limited, Registered in Scotland Number 2116. Registered Office: Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH. Authorised and regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority.FP.ENT.731.R