XL Bully advice

Tue 30 Jan 2024

XL Bully dog

From 1st February 2024, it will be illegal to own an XL Bully, unless the dog has an exemption.

Owners can now apply for a certificate of exemption to legally keep their dog and information about how to do it and other rules that are in place is on this UK Government website

The certificate of exemption and insurance needs to be in place by 1st February. Dogs Trust offer a Companion Club membership of £25 which includes suitable insurance.

What should you do if you believe a dog is dangerous or banned?
Dangerous dogs are dealt with by the police under the Dangerous Dogs Act. In an emergency, contact the police directly on 999. Banned or stolen dogs should be reported directly to the police on 101.

What will we do?
If you believe a tenant of ours has a dangerous or banned dog, please contact us on 0300 777 0000 to advise us of your concerns after you have informed the police. We will then work with the police to establish if the animal is licenced and exempt, or if action needs to be taken.

If you live in one of our homes and own an XL Bully, please contact your Housing Officer.

We will fully expect you to comply with all requirements of the law and ask you for proof that you have done so, such as providing us with a copy of your Certificate of Exemption. If you fail to provide a copy, we will report this to the relevant authorities.