Mutual Exchange

Home Swapper

A mutual exchange involves swapping homes with another tenant either from a housing association or any council tenant from anywhere in the UK, providing you and they have the right, and both parties want to swap.

Home-Swapper is an on-line service that allows tenants looking for a swap to find a new home that fits their needs. Whether the tenant wants to swap homes to have more space, be closer to work or family or to simply have a fresh start, the service allows them to find potential swaps with ease.

To use the service, tenants need to register for free on the website, enter details about their current property and what they’re looking for in their new home. The service then automatically searches through the thousands of properties on its database to find a home that matches their criteria.

The Home-Swapper service is available to Tai Tarian tenants from 1st November 2016 by registering at Tenants who need more information on Home Swapper can contact their Community Housing Officer or the Tai Tarian Lettings team on 0300 777 0000.

What happens when I find someone to swap with?
Once your application to Exchange is received, a Lettings Officer will arrange to visit you. The purpose of the visit is to ensure that you are not in breach of any conditions of your tenancy.  You will be advised at the visit of any problems that will need to be rectified

Please note that we will refuse permission for a swap if:

  • You have outstanding rent owing
  • Your home is in a poor condition, state of decoration, or damaged
  • The property you wish to move to is unsuitable for your needs or the person you wish to swap with (for example, it would be too large or small or has had disabled facilities which are not needed by you)
  • You are in any other breach of your tenancy agreement
  • You have an assured short hold or starter tenancy

    Your application will then be assessed as quickly as possible and you will receive an answer within 42 days of your application. In most cases we will reply to you sooner.

    If the exchange is approved you will be notified in writing and you will need to then contact repairs to arrange for a Gas Safety Check.

    You will need to arrange with all parties to attend the office with the Lettings Officer to sign an agreement.