Subject Access Request Guidance
As a registered social landlord, Tai Tarian are required to hold a lot of information about our customers and staff. Please see our Privacy Notice on our website to see what type of information we hold.
We are committed to handling your personal information in an open and transparent way and comply with Data Protection legislation at all times.
What is a Subject Access Request?
Under Data Protection legislation, you have certain rights. One of these is a right to gain access to or receive copies of the personal information that a company holds on you.
You are also entitled to:
- Know if your personal information is being used by a company and for what purpose;
- Ask for a description of the personal information a company holds on you, the reasons it is being processed, and if it will be given to any other companies or people;
- Be given details of where your personal information came from (where this is available).
- If a decision has been made by a system or a computer (automated decision) ask for the reasoning behind the decision.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any piece of information that relates to you as an individual. If you are a customer this information may include your name, address, contact details, employment information, benefits entitlement, details about who lives with you in our home, complaints you’ve made during your tenancy or complaints that have been made about you.
If you are a member of staff, this will again include your name, address, contact
details, salary and also training records, and information about your performance or capability.
What information can I request from Tai Tarian about me?
You can request any personal information we hold about you. You need to let us know what information you want and the time period you want the information to cover. However it may not always be possible to provide all the information you request. If we are unable to provide the information you’ve requested we will always provide you with an explanation why.
Is there any information that Tai Tarian can't share with me?
Yes, in some instances we will be unable to share some or all of the information you have requested. The main reasons that would prevent us from sharing requested information are:
- Sharing would mean disclosing personal information about another individual/s. Sometimes it will be possible to remove names or specific information from documents to enable sharing. But other times it will be impossible to hide another individual’s identity by removing certain information.
- If we cannot remove the information about another individual/s and where they have refused consent to their information being shared, a record of this must be maintained.
- Sharing would mean disclosing confidential information about Tai Tarian, another organisation or individual.
- Sharing would mean disclosing information about an ongoing legal process.
- The personal data is used for purposes related to crime and taxation.
The Information Commissioners Office’s Subject Access Code of Practice and Data Protection legislation provides more guidance on what information we cannot share.
Each subject access request will be considered on a case by case basis and any decision not to share information with you or to redact information will be thoroughly considered in accordance with relevant guidelines and Data Protection legislation.
If a decision is made not to share information or to redact certain information, where possible, the reasons will be explained to you and as much information as possible will be provided about the information that has been redacted.
Who can make a Subject Access Request?
- Any individual who believes we hold information on them;
- A parent can request the information we hold on their child, if the child in under 16 years of age; and
- A third party can make a request on behalf of an individual as long as they can provide evidence of authority to make the request.
How can I make a Subject Access Request?
Subject Access Requests must be made in writing or verbally in the following ways:
- Complete the Subject Access Request form: Click here
- Telephone: 01639 505854
- Write to: The Corporate Services Officer, Corporate Services, Tai Tarian, Tŷ Gwyn, Brunel Way, Baglan Energy Park, Neath, SA11 2FP.
- Email email@example.com. Provide your contact details and details of the information you require.
How will Tai Tarian deal with my Subject Access Request?
Once a Subject Access Request is received, the Corporate Services Team will coordinate the response. Identification will be required before we can proceed with a request, for example. birth certificate, driving licence, passport, library card, staff card etc.
We will contact you to let you know:
- we have received your Subject Access Request;
- explain the process;
- confirm with you the information you want; and
- ask how you would like to receive the information, by email, in the post or visit our offices to see the information.
Tai Tarian have a calendar month to deal with your request from receiving enough information to be able to deal with the request.
Once the information has been collated, we will provide you with the information in the way that you have requested.
Can I complain about the information I’ve received?
Yes. If you are unhappy with the information you have received you can complain to Tai Tarian. If you are still dissatisfied following our response you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.